TrainerBase, the discussion forum for freelance and employed trainers and technical instructors, providing help with your career.
TrainerBase - helping trainers find business and business find trainers
Welcome, Login
11/12/2017

Discuss

Welcome to the TrainerBase Open Discussion Forum.

This page provides the opportunity (subject to permission being granted) for registered users of the TrainerBase to post messages for help, advice and general dialogue. Users are reminded not to post messages that are or may be perceived to be recruitment ads. The Opportunities section is where these can be posted for free. Also this forum is not the place for technical support or service queries. These should be made direct to info[at]trainerbase.co.uk

Do remember that this forum is visible to all visitors to the site. If you need to discuss something in private; you need to be a member of the TrainerBase and post messages in the Members' Forum. Messages posted on this forum are automatically tweeted. Click to

- Viewing thread: RE: Training is not a profession; discuss.,
- Return to Forum.

Message 9 of 9: Barry Wall on 07/03/2013
Caught this thread late and therefore missed out on some wailing and gnashing of teeth. :)

The idea of training is so far past its sell by date it is prehistoric. we live in a knowledge economy, and the term is something out of sixties manufacturing. My recent CPD has taken me into the realms of why education is not educating and it has been fascinating to say the least.

I recently "trained" some young people moving into a sales career and to say that this was not pure teaching would be an understatement. This current generation of 18-23 year old are suffering from over emotionality brought on by the child centred approach of the previous curriculum. They had an appalling poverty of ambition let alone any get up an go.

Likewise the cultural, spiritual and learning gap between the older (managers, owners etc.) and the younger generation is so drastically fractured that it makes conflict inevitable in most situations. I still maintain that OD is the way forward. HR as a process of the learning field is dead, police make terrible teachers. L & D does not have the overarching power to control HR, Operations and the economic culture of organisations. In today's world its develop and change or die for organisations and individuals, The ham fisted attempts to maintain the procedural status quo by the old guard is hampering new thinking and fluid cultures that value individuality, reward collaborative and team activities, encourage autonomous working and development alongside fostering a concept of learning for all at all times for its own sake.

Watching companies go bust (HMV) is made more interesting when we recognise the status quo killed them, denial of change was the weapon and self aggrandisement and protecting enclaves the motive.

It is time for OD to rise, then we can see informal education in the workplace that expects a rigour from learners that the profession requires, based on educational outcomes which over arch and therefore exceed targets and kpi's for economical, financial and cultural wealth generation in the organisation itself.

Or am I bonkers?

(To Post a reply, you must be a registered user with forum permissions.)

Return to Top ^
Return to Forum | View Complete Thread

Post a Reply (Existing Members)

Username: - Your email address
Password: - Forgotten your password?
  Remember me:

>> Join TrainerBase

The messages posted here are the views of the individuals concerned and do not represent the views of TrainerBase. The TrainerBase cannot be held responsible for any misrepresentations made on this forum. The TrainerBase welcomes correspondence from individuals who have concerns regarding the content of messages posted and will, when notified, take measures to investigate and resolve any issues.

The above forum is permissions based. Members taking out a subscription after 01/01/2012 are eligible for permission (please email if you have not been granted). A user (non member) wishing to take part in discussion and dialogue (gain contributor permission) requires the sponsorship of one or more of the existing contributors. Gaining sponsorship does not guarantee permission. The decision as to whether to award permission rests with the operators of TrainerBase; TrainerBase Ltd. To enquire about permission to contribute to this forum please email info[at]trainerbase.co.uk

Messages posted on this forum are automatically tweeted. Click to