TrainerBase, the discussion forum for freelance and employed trainers and technical instructors, providing help with your career.
TrainerBase - helping trainers find business and business find trainers
Welcome, Login
17/12/2017

Discuss

Welcome to the TrainerBase Open Discussion Forum.

This page provides the opportunity (subject to permission being granted) for registered users of the TrainerBase to post messages for help, advice and general dialogue. Users are reminded not to post messages that are or may be perceived to be recruitment ads. The Opportunities section is where these can be posted for free. Also this forum is not the place for technical support or service queries. These should be made direct to info[at]trainerbase.co.uk

Do remember that this forum is visible to all visitors to the site. If you need to discuss something in private; you need to be a member of the TrainerBase and post messages in the Members' Forum. Messages posted on this forum are automatically tweeted. Click to

- Viewing thread: Change Management,
- Return to Forum.

Message 1 of 11: Julie Thornton on 04/06/2009
I am looking for an effective activitiy to run within a half day Change management workshop for junior to middle management. The environment is office based - any reccomendations?

(To Post a reply, you must be a registered user with forum permissions.)

Return to Top ^
Message 2 of 11: Andi Roberts on 04/06/2009
Hi Julie,
Why not build up a small case study based on the content of your course and ask them to apply the tools and techniques that you are working with them on to the case. The case could be a fictional one or could be based on a potential future change in the business.

If you have lots of tools and techniques you might want to divide the group up and give them a smaller selection of tools.

Once they have worked through the case study ask them to present their suggestions on change implementation, the highlights on tools / techniques and also any other lessons learnt / thoughts from the process.

Hope this helps, Andi

Return to Top ^
Message 3 of 11: Julie Thornton on 04/06/2009
Thanks Andi; I am thinking along those lines and appreciate your thoughts - Julie

Return to Top ^
Message 4 of 11: Mike Morrison on 04/06/2009
what is the focus of the "change management" - psychology of change, project management? - as the focus and emphasis will make a considerable difference.

Some of my clients when they talk about change mgt expect the hard skills 'stuff' - others the soft 'stuff'

Return to Top ^
Message 5 of 11: Julie Thornton on 04/06/2009
Yes thanks for this point Mike; I am discussing plans with my client tomorrow but it seems they want to deal with the physcology of change in this first session - followed by another workshop related to the 'project' side later. I will try and 'close the deal' tomorrow!!

Return to Top ^
Message 6 of 11: Sarah Cooper on 10/06/2009
Hi Julie,
If they are looking to understand the psychology of change, why not buy a roll of v cheap wallpaper and draw a massive change curve on it that runs the length of your training space. Then "teach" them the change curve and all it's emotional content by getting them walking along it and remembering a change they have been through themself. At each stage of the curve, facilitate some discussion with the group about what they would have wanted at each stage to help move them on through the change as painlessly as possible. That way, they are creating a set of strategies to support change that they know will work as they've come up with them themselves!
Hope that makes sense....good luck with it,Sarah

Return to Top ^
Message 7 of 11: Julie Thornton on 10/06/2009
Sarah - I really like this idea! Thank you!

Return to Top ^
Message 8 of 11: Peter Dilger on 13/06/2009
Produce a list of the names of 12 colours with the name written in the corresponding colour ie red in red black in black etc. Have the delegates read them out in turn with a competion as to who can complete the list in the shortest time.
hen produce a list of 12 colours with the name and the colours out od sync ie red written in yellow, black written in green etc.
Have the delegates repeat the exercise but having to read out the colour not the word ie the word is red the colour yellow they must say yellow. Again go for speed.

Always causes amusement and then generates discussion on expectations, convention, change etc.

Return to Top ^
Message 9 of 11: Julie Thornton on 15/06/2009
Peter, this is an excellent exercise, a really good ice breaker to generate discussion - thanks so much!

Return to Top ^
Message 10 of 11: Peter Dilger on 17/06/2009
My Pleasure hope it works well

Peter

Return to Top ^
Message 11 of 11: Jean Crawford on 01/09/2009
Julie,
The Change Game is an excellent activity for a group to experience personally and collectvely their different comfort zones, attitudes and feelings towards change. It's fun too. During the debrief light bulbs go on...Give me a call if you want the details.

Return to Top ^
Return to Forum | Show Selected Message Only

Post a Reply (Existing Members)

Username: - Your email address
Password: - Forgotten your password?
  Remember me:

>> Join TrainerBase

The messages posted here are the views of the individuals concerned and do not represent the views of TrainerBase. The TrainerBase cannot be held responsible for any misrepresentations made on this forum. The TrainerBase welcomes correspondence from individuals who have concerns regarding the content of messages posted and will, when notified, take measures to investigate and resolve any issues.

The above forum is permissions based. Members taking out a subscription after 01/01/2012 are eligible for permission (please email if you have not been granted). A user (non member) wishing to take part in discussion and dialogue (gain contributor permission) requires the sponsorship of one or more of the existing contributors. Gaining sponsorship does not guarantee permission. The decision as to whether to award permission rests with the operators of TrainerBase; TrainerBase Ltd. To enquire about permission to contribute to this forum please email info[at]trainerbase.co.uk

Messages posted on this forum are automatically tweeted. Click to