TrainerBase, the discussion forum for freelance and employed trainers and technical instructors, providing help with your career.
TrainerBase - helping trainers find business and business find trainers
Welcome, Login
21/10/2014

Discuss

Welcome to the TrainerBase Open Discussion Forum.

This page provides the opportunity (subject to permission being granted) for registered users of the TrainerBase to post messages for help, advice and general dialogue. Users are reminded not to post messages that are or may be perceived to be recruitment ads. The Opportunities section is where these can be posted for free. Also this forum is not the place for technical support or service queries. These should be made direct to info[at]trainerbase.co.uk

Do remember that this forum is visible to all visitors to the site. If you need to discuss something in private; you need to be a member of the TrainerBase and post messages in the Members' Forum. Messages posted on this forum are automatically tweeted. Click to

- Viewing thread: A question of rates,
- Return to Forum.

Message 1 of 5: Ed Trayner on 23/02/2012
Hi all

I had a query for my opinion come into the office about the rates being proposed in some opportunities and in general. I responded direct but thought I would also put my response here.

Begin
Rates is a perennial issue; what is a good or bad rate? That is dependent on the business model of the individual trainer, the sector they train in, the topics they train and whether price is a key competitive factor. The opportunities mentioned are for associate trainers (working for other training companies) and as such rates from £250 up are quite common. A trainer who substantially operates the associate model (working for 5 or more training companies) could expect to deliver on 150+ days a year and have a comfortable (for them) annual turnover of £40k per year. I know some associate trainers who deliver 200 days a year and drive around in very nice cars. That said I have for the most part now stopped posting opportunities were rates are less than £125/day as I feel this is below the minimum wage equivalent.

The majority of opportunities that are posted on the site are for associate trainers and rates secured range from £250 - £600 per day; with the lead provider charging their client anything from £500 - £2,000 per day. Feedback from members suggests that the more lucrative direct contracts (£600 - £1,500 per day) are secured via member profiles (purchasers visiting the site and contacting a trainer direct). This model was not intentional it is just what has happened over the past 10 years.

Have you heard that some public sector clients are instructing their training providers not to submit tenders if their subcontractor (associate trainer) rates are more than £250/day. My belief is that there are more trainers (jobbing [train as only a small part of a bigger job] and hobby [train as a pastime for pocket money]) willing to work for low rates than there are trainers able to charge the higher rates. That’s what comes from an unregulated industry with no barriers to entry, no licence to operate and no ‘union’ to rattle the cages of the powers that be.

Whilst a trainer may rightly consider their knowledge and experience to be worth a day rate; if no one is prepared to pay that rate (for whatever reason), then that trainer needs to reconsider their business model.
End

And whilst I might have an opinion on what consitututes a resonable/acceptable rate, TrainerBase is not in a strong enough position in the market to regulate (through inclusion nor exclusion) more than it currently does what is offered or charged. It's a free market.

Peter
AKA Ed

(To Post a reply, you must be a registered user with forum permissions.)

Return to Top ^
Return to Forum | View Complete Thread

Post a Reply (Existing Members)

Username: - Your email address
Password: - Forgotten your password?
  Remember me:

>> Join TrainerBase

The messages posted here are the views of the individuals concerned and do not represent the views of TrainerBase. The TrainerBase cannot be held responsible for any misrepresentations made on this forum. The TrainerBase welcomes correspondence from individuals who have concerns regarding the content of messages posted and will, when notified, take measures to investigate and resolve any issues.

The above forum is permissions based. Members taking out a subscription after 01/01/2012 are eligible for permission (please email if you have not been granted). A user (non member) wishing to take part in discussion and dialogue (gain contributor permission) requires the sponsorship of one or more of the existing contributors. Gaining sponsorship does not guarantee permission. The decision as to whether to award permission rests with the operators of TrainerBase; TrainerBase Ltd. To enquire about permission to contribute to this forum please email info[at]trainerbase.co.uk

Messages posted on this forum are automatically tweeted. Click to